Dust bowl

So here we all are, part of the new world technology and having absolutely no clue what I am doing, but it will be a new challenge. I'm not sure my ramblings will have any impact on the world as we know it, but maybe we'll have some fun and lots of laughs while I try to embrace a whole new medium of communication. Maybe. Or not.

Friday, November 12, 2010

Mutant mosquitos

Maybe it's just me, but somehow having mutant mosquitos flying around just seems wrong.  It's bad enough with regular mosquitos - you know - those irritating insects that buzz in your ears and bite and leave you itchy and uncomfortable at best.  Hmmm sounds a lot like my students but without the biting part (they are, after all, teenagers and unless they happen to be vampires, don't usually bite).  Now scientist have done something that could be incredibly stupid or incredibly smart, but only time will tell.  They've genetically modified male mosquitos.  I'm sure their intentions were good, but then so was Dr. Frankenstein, and we all know how that turned out.  Besides, mother nature already did the whole mutant insect thing, and look what  happened.  In my opinion, scientists should have left the whole blood sucking thing to vampires and left mosquitos out of the equation.  They do a good enough job as it is (vampires and mosquitos, not scientists).  The question then is, what happens when the mutant mosquitos mutate?  We all know they have a very short life span, but how many generations of mutant male mosquitos will it take before we have man size mosquitos buzzing around looking for lunch and giving us their multifaceted eye as the next snack?  Personally, I would prefer my mosquitos, as irritating as they are, less than human size.  Maybe a little bigger so they are easier to see and kill, but not much.  One of my coworkers has bats in her roof (as opposed to bats in her belfrey) and they do a fine job of controlling mosquitos.  Does this mean that if things get out of hand, scientists will mutate bats?  What about other mosquito eating insects like dragon flies?  Will they get bigger too?  Shades of Jurrasic Park!!  Until next time, I'll be watching out for giant mosquitoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment