Dust bowl

So here we all are, part of the new world technology and having absolutely no clue what I am doing, but it will be a new challenge. I'm not sure my ramblings will have any impact on the world as we know it, but maybe we'll have some fun and lots of laughs while I try to embrace a whole new medium of communication. Maybe. Or not.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Neurological Bakshish

Normally I try to keep things as light as possible on this blog, but something has been confusing me lately (not unusual as I am occasionally confused - unlike my coworker who is chronically confused).  The word neurology has to do with the study of the brain, and neurologists are those who deal with injuries to said body part.  No where, that I can find, does it say anything about veins, arteries or anything related to those aquaducts of the body.  True, we usually associate the liquid transported through these aquaducts as important to the proper functioning of the brain, so that the "little grey cells" (as one of my favourite mystery character calls them) will work the way we need them to work so that our body can do its thing.  However, it has come to my attention that neurologists are now telling people that they can't have a treatment that opens blocked veins which may lead to bodies functioning the way they should, instead of the way far too many of them are - poorly.  In this case I am talking about the Liberation Treatment, which is using the same technique as angioplasty, only this time unblocking veins, particularly those in the neck.  Why am I confused about this and what does it have to do with bakshish?  Well, it's the neurologists that are blocking this treatment, that they wouldn't deal with in the first place, and have convinced governments in Canada, the U.S. and probably Britain, to deny treatment to many MS sufferers for whom this treatment is intended.  So where does bakshish come into it.  Bakshish is, as all of you know, a nice word for kickbacks.  You pay an official "unofficial" money to get something done you want.  Works well in many countries of the world where red tape is so thick you could choke on it.  So why am I using this word in connection with neurologists?  Because it seems to me, and I'm no expert, that the very people who are throwing up barriers (not to be confused with throwing up your lunch, though the idea that kickbacks are changing hands is enough to make anyone want to rowlf their cookies) are the same people who are hustling the drugs pharmacutical companies are pushing.  (Talk about drug dealing!  And it's legal! Shouldn't the police be cracking down on this?)  These meds are not always useful, often have side effects and don't solve the problem in far too many cases.  So the question then is, my dears:  What kind of bakshish are the drug companies paying the neurologists to shut the Liberation Treatment out?  and who in government is getting their cut of the money to make sure that people who are literally dying a slow and often painful death are not getting the treatment they deserve?  I'd suggest a Parliamentary inquiry into this - but wait - those are the same people who are screwing the very people they are supposedly going to help.  Like I said, I'm very confused about this.  Anyone out there have any answers?  Well, Doctors?

No comments:

Post a Comment