Dust bowl

So here we all are, part of the new world technology and having absolutely no clue what I am doing, but it will be a new challenge. I'm not sure my ramblings will have any impact on the world as we know it, but maybe we'll have some fun and lots of laughs while I try to embrace a whole new medium of communication. Maybe. Or not.

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Loading stuff

Don't you just love the new language that's developed over the last few years when it comes to loading stuff?  I mean, really.  Now you can upload or download stuff (depending, I guess, if it's your stuff or someone else's) off the internet, top load or front load your washing machine (depending on what kind you have), overload your suitcases, packing crates and anything else that has limited space and you just MUST take whatever's too much with you because it might be important.  Directly related to loading stuff is sizing it.  You can down size, undersize, and over size.  I suppose you can even up size depending on how thirsty or hungry you are.  Mind you, if you are upsizing too often, your personal size will go up in direct proportion - or maybe even more than you expected.  So why would all of this wonderful new way to describe something be important?  Well, my darlings, I shall tell you,depending of course on whether you really want the answer or not - and even if you don't.  Such is the power of a blog.  Depending on how the phrase in question is used, it can become an adjective, adverb or, yes, even a verb if used creatively.  For example, if a boss says to his/her employee, "Did you upload and send off that document that needed to go?" and the employee says, "No, but I downloaded this really cool music off the net." you can count on the employee being downsized to the point of being unemployed.  Both sentences would be grammatically correct, though I'm not sure why the boss wouldn't just upload and send the document him/herself (actually the boss probably would and wouldn't need the employee any more anyway - such is life in a downsized high tech world).  How is all of this relevant to recent events in my life  Simple.  I'm packing to move, and so I must now downsize and load my four suitcases, plastic container and trunk with all the stuff I've accumulated over the last two to three years.  Nothing like moving to keep a person from accumulating all sorts of "stuff" that may or may not be necessary.  I'm offloading (another good word) some of my "stuff" and the rest I'm packing.  When I put my "stuff" into nice neat containers, there isn't really a whole lot.  It's not like moving an entire household with all the furniture, but still, it has to be moved.  Up to now I've been able to keep things to a minimum (well for someone who is located in the same place for at least two years), and most of what I'm hauling has direct relationship to my work, but it's still probably more than I really need.  I have found, though, that as soon as I eliminate some of the "non-essentials", those are the very things I then have to go out and buy at some point at my new location.  So, in order to stop rebuying the same things everywhere I go, I now haul it with me - whatever IT might be.  On that note, I think I'd better get on with up/down/over/off loading more stuff.  Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment