Dust bowl

So here we all are, part of the new world technology and having absolutely no clue what I am doing, but it will be a new challenge. I'm not sure my ramblings will have any impact on the world as we know it, but maybe we'll have some fun and lots of laughs while I try to embrace a whole new medium of communication. Maybe. Or not.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

It's a guy thing

I have noticed, throughout my travels that there is a distinctly guy thing that knows no race, culture, country or religion.  It has to be a definite guy thing as it happens everywhere around the world.  It has to do with the general penchant of guys to "supervise" things.  I've seen it before, but only realized just how gender specific it was when I was sitting on my balcony watching the world go by.  The junk man came by, and there was a good bit of cardboard (old packing crates, etc.) that had been left out.  After much negotiation, the junk man agreed to take the cardboard boxes.  Then the phenomena of supervision kicked in.  While the junk man folded the cardboard into smaller, much more managable sizes, there were six (I counted them so I know that was the exact number) of men standing around watching - or supervising if you prefer - the junk man do his thing.  Men seem to love to do this particular activity, especially if someone else is doing the work.  City workers have this activity down pat.  Ever noticed how one, maybe two, men are actually working and the remainder are standing around, leaning on shovels, metal fencing or whatever is handy, supervising the work.  Yes, it is a cliche, but a very real one, and not one that is going to go away in a hurry.  I'm currently living in India, but have seen this same event in Kuwait, Bahrain and Mexico, not to mention Canada, the U.S. and the U.K.  I'm sure I'll see it in my next port of call, the next country I holiday in and - well let's face it, pretty much everywhere in the world.  Not only do men love standing around supervising, they also like to comment, or if you prefer a more sophisticated term, advise on the whole procedure.  It doesn't seem to matter, either, what the event is, how educated the guys are or what economic status they have, from cars to pot holes, the action is still the same.  Definitely a guy thing.  Until next time the junk man or someone comes so that guys can "supervise", I think I'll have a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment