Dust bowl

So here we all are, part of the new world technology and having absolutely no clue what I am doing, but it will be a new challenge. I'm not sure my ramblings will have any impact on the world as we know it, but maybe we'll have some fun and lots of laughs while I try to embrace a whole new medium of communication. Maybe. Or not.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Flipping houses

So the headline said, "should you flip your house?".  I don't know.  I guess it depends on how strong you are.  Is it like flipping the matress on your bed, or pancakes or crepes?  How about doing a chef-y thing while sauteing your veggies?  Does it work the same way?  Sounds kind of like a bad joke.  You know:  How many people does it take to flip a house?  Well that depends.  Are you flipping it on it's roof? It's side and which one (because sides are much easier to flip a house on to than fronts, backs or roofs)?  or just spinning it around for a change?  I've never actually tried to flip a house.  It might well be because I'm not superman, or superwoman or even Xena Warrior Princess (who can do just about anything so could probably flip the house as well).  I've had students write that a character moved their house, implying that the character actually picked the house up and moved it.  I'd love to see that.  I know houses can be moved - by big trucks, on huge flatbeds, taking up the whole road in the process, but I've never actually seen a person move a house.  Maybe I should have tried that.  I could have folded my house up into a small box like shape, tucked it into a suitcase, and unpacked and unfolded it when I got to wherever I was moving to.  No fuss, no muss.  Everything I need for living all tucked away in a nice carry-all just waiting to be unfolded as soon as I found a big enough space to do so.  All the amenities I was used to with me, instead of belonging to the person that bought my house.  Now, instead, I make due with whatever I get in whatever apartment the school I'm at has rented for me - not always stocked with the standard washing machine, full stove (with a large enough oven to cook a turkey - or at least a big chicken in) or dresser/more than one closet.  When you move as often as I have you learn quickly that if it doesn't fit in a steamer trunk or five suitcases and a plastic bin, it isn't worth taking.  So instead of flexing my muscles flipping a house, or picking it up and carrying it to someplace else, I'll dig out my suitcases and plastic bin and pack up my world to move on to the next adventure in living.  So don't strain any muscles flipping your houses.  Just get a friend to help you turn the matress over instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment