Dust bowl

So here we all are, part of the new world technology and having absolutely no clue what I am doing, but it will be a new challenge. I'm not sure my ramblings will have any impact on the world as we know it, but maybe we'll have some fun and lots of laughs while I try to embrace a whole new medium of communication. Maybe. Or not.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Kites

No, not the kind made from plastic, paper or cloth and wood with string that a person will spend ages putting together (unless it's store bought - then good luck getting it to do what you want) only to have trouble getting it launched into the air, eaten by a tree or hung up on telephone poles, light stands or anything else that makes them hard to recover.  I'm talking about the birds, though I suspect people got the idea of kites from watching birds.  Where I live, kites (the birds) are in abundance.  I was sitting having tea with my elderly neighbour and we watched the birds as they swooped and soared over the river, catching an air current to glide on, occasionally putting some effort in maintaining momentum.  This is not a bird I would see if I were at home.  The birds at home that move the same way are usually hawks or the occasional eagle.  Kites are a relative of those same predators, so it makes sense they would have the same sense of energy efficiency when it comes to hunting.
Which brings me to three other birds that seem to be common in pretty much every part of the world I've lived in - robins, crows and pigeons.  Robins I don't mind, they all sing the same song though they might look slightly different (some have red breasts, some don't), crows are crows.  They scavenge, caw, and are a noisy lot, will eat your veggies before you and are pretty much a nuisance, though at least they will eat roadkill and are garbage machines.  Pigeons I've never got.  They really don't serve any useful purpose that I can see, poop on everything, multiply like dust bunnies and are very hard to get rid of.  They're everywhere doing the same thing in pretty much every part of the world - except the extreme areas like the arctic and antarctic, and I'm sure if there was a way for them to adapt, they'd be there too.  I don't know who the bright bunny was that thought raising pigeons was a good plan, as obviously some got away and have since overpopulated the world.  I'm not sure they'd even be good for eating if anyone was despirate enough to want to eat one, but they are in plentiful supply.
Speaking of eating, I think I need to make some lunch.  NOT pigeon, but a nice roast beef sandwich would go down well right about now.  Hmmmm.  Back to the whole food thing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment