Dust bowl

So here we all are, part of the new world technology and having absolutely no clue what I am doing, but it will be a new challenge. I'm not sure my ramblings will have any impact on the world as we know it, but maybe we'll have some fun and lots of laughs while I try to embrace a whole new medium of communication. Maybe. Or not.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Jet lag

Ever had one of those days where you have no idea what planet you are on, but you know - sort of - that you vaguely have to do something that might be important?  That you have a headache reminiscent of the last big bender you went on, but didn't have a drop of anything that might remotely be described as alcohol related, but you wish it had been so that you'd have an excuse for having such a painful head is the feeling you have at the moment.  Your brain is generally mush when it comes to actually thinking, and you are going on autopilot hoping the horse/car/bus/taxi will find its own way home because you don't believe you can.  Fortunately, many of us manage to wade through the day that feels like heavy sludge and get things done, though how is another matter.  Hopefully no one actually asks you what you did that day or how it turned out because in fact you truly have no idea what the heck they are talking about, and really wished you did in case it was something really good.
This, ladies and gentlemen, is jet lag.  Your body and your brain are not in the same time zone, the same place on the planet or even on this planet.  At least that's how it feels.  Your eyes are puffy and red, your nose is plugged and your head hurts, but it's not the flu or a cold.  I've experienced jet lag a number of times.  Fortunately I've had time to recover, get lots of rest and let my body and my brain get back into sync, but every once in a while I have to go to work the day after I get back from wherever it is I've been and as such am expected to function at the same level as I would if I hadn't travelled.  The only good thing about this combined with any non-thinking job is that a person can do his/her work without having to expend too much energy.  Just don't fall asleep in front of a group of students/board members/politicians and you'll be fine.  Now I need to head off to try to put my brain back together, get mind and body coordinated and then go back to work tomorrow knowing I did something worthwhile - I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment