Dust bowl

So here we all are, part of the new world technology and having absolutely no clue what I am doing, but it will be a new challenge. I'm not sure my ramblings will have any impact on the world as we know it, but maybe we'll have some fun and lots of laughs while I try to embrace a whole new medium of communication. Maybe. Or not.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Stuck

Ever have one of those days when some tune you accidentally hear (or maybe you listened to it while playing other tunes you wanted to hear) gets stuck in your brain and won't go away? The only thing to do, well ok two only things to do, are either play the silly piece so that your brain is tricked into abandoning it, or try to replace it with another silly piece so that hopefully tune one will be drowned out by tune two and they'll cancel each other out so you have some mental peace of mind. It doesn't help if the tune in question is one that you heard on an elevator going up or down from someplace you might or might not have wanted to go to (like the dentist's office), or that the said tune is actually playing in the place you might or might not have wanted to go to (like the dentist's office) where you are a captive audience.
The elevator in our building is one of those places where it doesn't matter if you are the one getting on or off or someone else is, the canned version of a classical piece plays every time the elevator door opens and doesn't quit until the door is closed. Which is fine if people get on and off in a hurry, but not so great when someone getting off doesn't close the gates properly. Then the d**** tune plays on and on and on until you are ready to scream for someone to close the d*** door. Eventually someone does. Usually the guard of the building. I'd do it myself but it would mean going up and down every floor to find the elevator in the first place, closing the door and then either riding up or down in said elevator (and thus setting off the tune again), or walking. Great exercise if you're not in your nightshirt, but not so much fun if you have to change back in to clothes (especially in the middle of the night) just to track down the elevator to shut it up.
Speaking of tunes, elevators and getting stuck. This place has timed power outages. Now usually I'm pretty good and doing things around the timed outages, but every once in a while I get caught, usually when I'm trying to nuke something for supper - and I did - in said elevator. On the plus side I didn't have to listen to the music, on the negative side I had to wait until someone came down the stairs and got the guard to come up to flip the latch to let me out. I'd have flipped the latch myself, but didn't happen to have a long screwdriver on me at that moment (memo: remember to either take the stairs just in case, or carry the screwdriver).
For now, I'm stuck in the mind set of pre-back to work thinking, and so I guess I should actually get myself prepared for the next round at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment