Dust bowl

So here we all are, part of the new world technology and having absolutely no clue what I am doing, but it will be a new challenge. I'm not sure my ramblings will have any impact on the world as we know it, but maybe we'll have some fun and lots of laughs while I try to embrace a whole new medium of communication. Maybe. Or not.

Friday, January 15, 2010

Time

There is something I have never really understood, and maybe some physicist that wanders in from another dimension or two can enlighten me.  How is it that when you are working a regular week (Monday to Friday, or Sunday to Thursday if you are working in the Middle East) at regular (ok semi-regular) hours the week seems to go by very fast, yet if it's a short work week, the week never seems to end.  It just drags on and on and on.  When you aren't in a rush to get some place, that's when you get there early and way faster than you expected, but when you are in a hurry to get someplace, it seems to take forever.  In fact, if you don't leave early you often arrive late.  Come to think of it, you'll probably end up being late even if you leave early.  Holidays are never long enough, or often enough when you do get them, and seem to go by very fast, but the time between them seems to take forever.  Is this an Einsteinian thingie?  Is it something for the Jungians to analyse?  What about the astrophysicists, and how does Dr. Who and his TARDIS explain this?  Does our universe shrink and expand expotentially based on how much of a rush we are in to get to an extremely important whatever, and how do we know?  Is there a time warp factor involved, and is that why I'm so darned tired at the end of a week, only to have my weekends fly be so fast it hardly feels like I've had one?  If time flies when you are having fun and crawls when you're not, what happens in between?  Are we in suspended animation between the fast fun and the slow drag?  If I talk to my family who live in one time zone on the other side of the planet  and it's noon here and midnight there, are we on the same day?  What about if it's before midnight there and after noon here, am I talking to them in the past?  Are they talking to me in the future?  Am I talking to myself (never mind I do that already)? What happened to the present, does it mean that it doesn't exist and who's past and who's future is it?  These are things I think about when I'm really only half away, or is it half asleep.  Oh dear.  Now I'm bordering on the half-full, half-empty discussion.  Is there a Time Lord out there who can sort this out for me please?  Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment