Dust bowl

So here we all are, part of the new world technology and having absolutely no clue what I am doing, but it will be a new challenge. I'm not sure my ramblings will have any impact on the world as we know it, but maybe we'll have some fun and lots of laughs while I try to embrace a whole new medium of communication. Maybe. Or not.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Irony of cookies

It's one of those facts of life.  If someone talks about cookies, or writes about cookies, or emails you about cookies, and the cookie they happen to talk/write/email you about happens to be one you haven't had in absolutely ages, you suddenly crave that cookie.  My sister did this to me.  Recently.  I haven't had a home made peanut butter cookie in years.  I've had chocolate chip, double chocolate, shortbread, and some of those heinz 57 kind that pass themselves off as being Danish, but in reality I don't expect any self-respecting Dane would ever really eat (and I've been to Denmark so I can actually say that).  I've eaten cookies made in many places in the world, but for whatever reason the idea of a homemade peanut butter cookie never crossed my mind - or my lips for that matter.  Until today.  I just had to do it.  I confess, I broke down and made some.  That's the problem with craving things, you find yourself either getting out a recipe book with the recipe of the particular thing you are craving, only to find you don't have half the ingredients (which isn't such a bad thing, because it's maybe a clue you shouldn't have that particular foody to begin with), and if you really want that particular food item (in this case the said cookies), you end up getting in your car, or on your bicycle, or walking, and making a trip to the store you hadn't planned on to get the ingredients that you wouldn't normally use just so you can go home to make the wretched whatevers.  By the time you've made it to the store, unless you've made a list, you will probably have forgotten half the things you were supposed to get and end up buying things you didn't need instead, and still not have what you need to make what you want to make.  So you are left with two choices.  Either abandon the craving and go for some good old fashioned store bought cookies, or junk food, or go back to the store with the list of the ingredients you do need.  By then you're not sure it's really all worth it, but that little voice in the back of your head is saying ccooookkkies.  Once you get the ingredients home, measure, mix and bake it's probably taken more time and money than it would have done if you had just gone to the bakery and bought the wretched cookies in the first place.  But then they wouldn't have been the same.  They wouldn't have been home made.  At least that's  what you tell yourself.  So you wait until you can haul the cookies out of the oven and let them cool.  The first bite is delicious, the second just as good as the first and before you know it you've eaten three or four, and yes it was all worth it.  Problem is, now you have a couple of dozen cookies that need to either be stored, shared or eaten by you all by yourself.  The irony of it all?  If your favourite person hadn't planted the idea in your mind in the first place, you'd have likely gone along quite nicely without them and stuck with the nearest bag of chips, or pretzels, or popcorn.  However, I now have a dozen peanut butter cookies calling me to join them, so I think I will.  Until the next time.

2 comments: