Dust bowl

So here we all are, part of the new world technology and having absolutely no clue what I am doing, but it will be a new challenge. I'm not sure my ramblings will have any impact on the world as we know it, but maybe we'll have some fun and lots of laughs while I try to embrace a whole new medium of communication. Maybe. Or not.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Idiots and the Stupor Bowl

Ok.  So I misread the headlines.  One was supposedly about the "Idol tradition" (since when did having someone from the American Idol become a tradition?) and the other was about the Super Bowl.  Hmmmm.  Maybe misreading the headlines wasn't so bad after all.  Since there is so much hoopla over the American football phenomena (phenomenom?) called the Super Bowl (is that the same as an ultragigantic cereal bowl full of froot loops?) there are probably going to be quite a few idiots there idling around, hoping something truly incredible might actually happen.  Yeah.  Right.  Watching American Football is much like watching clothes in a dryer or paint drying on a wall.  Enough to put a person in a stupor.  The worst part is, that if a person lives in or anywhere near the U.S., or has access to any one of the American stations on satelite or cable, one can't escape it.  It's usually on pretty much every channel there is - anywhere.  Which is why I avoid TV, especially on superbowl day.  Then again, I have no idea who the teams are, who the players are or why I should care.  Canadian football I at least know the teams, though I'd be hard pressed to give you any names of any current players, nor do I really care.  I could probably recognize more cricket players from South Africa or Australia or New Zealand for that matter, and a fair number of Soccer - er, football - players from most teams anywhere.  Why would I want to?  I don't.  However, many of my students do, so I at least try to be able to recognize names.  As for American Idol, I quit watching that after the first year or two.  Same old, same old.  Just like the football game.  HoHum.  Until next time when something vaguely interesting or exciting crops up, like how many medals some countries did or didn't get at the winter olympics.

No comments:

Post a Comment